The course provides an introduction for marine data managers to the application of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to the marine environment using ArcGIS software. This includes acquisition, processing, analysis, and interpretation of data to create products in support of marine and coastal programs.
Aims and Objectives:
• To provide an introduction to the use of GIS for developing marine applications
• To demonstrate the potential applications of GIS for the marine environment
• To exploit publicly available marine datasets which will form the basis for course exercises
• Acquire knowledge of use GIS software tools and techniques.
• Core tasks involved in the GIS analysis process including data acquisition, data management, data manipulation and analysis, and data presentation and output
• Hands-on practical exposure to the core functionality of ArcMap, Arc Catalogue and Arc Toolbox
• Appreciation of coastal and marine GIS data applications
• Awareness of the potential application of GIS in the marine and coastal sectors
• Marine data managers
• Staff of NODCs working with Marine Geographic Information Systems
• University graduates
• Candidates should have a working knowledge of marine data and formats and preferably be working in institution which is responsible for the management of marine data
• This training course is not an introduction to GIS so candidates are expected to have some previous experience in the use of GIS
• Working knowledge of English
• Greg Reed
• R. S. Mahendra (Teaching Assistant at INCOIS)
Note: this is an OTA Global Classroom course
UNESCO/IOC Project Office for IODE
Wandelaarkaai 7 - Pakhuis 61
This course is the same organised in May 2011.
Period for applications: 28 November 2011 - 9 January 2012. Please use the Application Form available at www.oceanteacher.org
Other location: INCOIS, Hyderabad, India