see also http://www.oceandataportal.org
The objective of the IODE Ocean Data Portal is to facilitate and promote the exchange and dissemination marine data and services. The Ocean Data Portal will provide seamless access to collections and inventories of marine data from the NODCs in the IODE network and will allow for the discovery, evaluation (through visualisation and metadata review) and access to data via web services. The system architecture will use Web-oriented information technologies to access non-homogeneous and geographically distributed marine data and information.
ODP will be developed in close cooperation with existing and developing initiatives such as the IODE/JCOMM E2EDM Pilot Project, SeaDataNet, WIS, Australian Oceans Portal, US DMAC, Russian ESIMO and others. The ODP will also support the data access requirements of other IOC programmes areas, including GOOS, JCOMM, HAB and the Tsunami warning system. The ODP development will also work closely with other international initiatives including WIS and GEOSS to ensure interoperability with other domains.
The OceanDataPortal was formally established at IODE-XIX through Recommendation IODE-XIX.4 (THE IODE OCEAN DATA PORTAL PROJECT) (2007), which is included below.
THE IODE OCEAN DATA PORTAL PROJECT
"The IOC Committee on International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange,
Noting with satisfaction the submission of the IODE Ocean Data Portal Concept Paper that is aimed to provide the integration of marine data and information from a network of distributed IODE data centres as well as the resources from other participating systems and that will be based upon modern web technologies,
Taking into account that a number of similar initiatives are planned or have started such as IODE/JCOMM E2EDM Pilot Project, SeaDataNet, DMAC, WIS and others,
Recommends the establishment of the IODE Ocean Data Portal Project with the Terms of Reference as attached in the Annex of this recommendation;
Invites the IOC Executive Secretary, in consultation with the Co-Chairs of IODE and the Chair of the JCOMM-DMCG, to establish a Steering Group (SG-ODP) to implement and monitor the progress of the Project;
Invites IODE Member States and other interested countries and organizations, to participate in, and support the activities of the Project
Annex to Recommendation IODE-XIX.4
Terms of Reference of the IODE Ocean Data Portal Project
Objectives of the Project:
- facilitate and promote the exchange and dissemination of marine data and services hosted by NODCs;
- provide seamless access to marine data to NODCs across the IODE network through the discovery, evaluation and access to data via web services;
- identify and recommend standards to provide interoperability with IODE data centres to allow shared use of metadata, data and products.
The Participants in the Pilot Project:
The Project will be carried out by a Steering Group composed of, inter alia, representatives of IODE/JCOMM ETDMP, SG-MEDI, SG-MarineXML, WMO ICG-WIS, and other appropriate experts as required for each work package.
Work Plan and Timing:
The Project Steering group will implement 3 work packages (Project coordination and management; Standards and development package; Portal implementation package) during the inter-sessional period (2007-2009) and submit a detailed report on the work achieved at the Twentieth Session of IODE (2009).
2007: US$ 20,000 (extra-budgetary sources (obtained from USA)
2008-2009 US$ 100,000 (extra-budgetary sources (to be identified))
Structural elements of the IODE Ocean Data Portal
At IODE-XXII, the IODE Committee defined 3 types of strutural elements of the IODE Ocean Data Portal through Recommendation IODE-XXII.8.
TERMS OF REFERENCE OF THE STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS OF THE IODE OCEAN DATA PORTAL
The IOC Committee on International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange,
Recognizing the importance of integration of marine data and information from a network of distributed IODE data centres,
Recalling the establishment of the IODE Ocean Data Portal project through Recommendation IODE-XIX.4 in March 2007,
Recommends the Terms of Reference of the structural elements of the IODE Ocean Data Portal as follows:
The ODP global node (IOC Project Office for IODE) shall:
- Coordinate the IODE distributed data system including the monitoring of performance, system statistics and reporting;
- Manage consolidated metadata catalogues (nodes, data and services, user metadata) by accumulating metadata from associated data providers (national nodes) and synchronizing of this metadata with other nodes;
- Manage and disseminate among other nodes the common controlled dictionaries, basic electronic maps and other cross-system data and metadata;
- Provide the user access to data and services submitted by all ODP nodes. If required, it redirects users to the portal of other nodes;
The ODP regional/specialized nodes (ODINs centres, GDACs and centres of JCOMM and centres of other IOC/IODE programmes and projects) shall:
- Coordinate the IODE distributed data system including associated data providers of its area of responsibility;
- Manage the metadata catalogues of its area of responsibility and synchronize this metadata with other nodes;
- Provide access to the IODE distributed data system of its area of responsibility and redirects users to the portal of other nodes, if required.
The ODP national node (NODCs) shall:
- Submit metadata and data sets to IODE distributed data system for shared use.
- Undergo an accreditation procedure, based upon the IODE Quality Management Framework.
- Be reviewed periodically by the IODE Steering Group for the IODE Ocean Data Portal and the IODE Steering Group for the Quality Management Framework
In addition IODE-XXII adopted the Terms of Reference of the Partnership Centre for the IODE Ocean Data Portal.
The IODE Ocean Data Portal Project is managed by a Steering Group. As indicated above the Steering Group was first established together with the Project in 2007 through Recommendation IODE-XIX.4.More information on this group (and its meetings) can be found here.
Documentation and related Meeting Reports
||IOC/IODE-XIX/15: The IODE Ocean Data Portal: Concept Paper
IODE OceanDataPortal and WIS Technology Workshop
The IODE Ocean Data Portal and WIS Technology Workshop was held in Obninsk, Russian
Federation, from 18 to 19 March 2009. The aim of the meeting was to address Ocean Data Portal
(ODP) and the WMO Information System (WIS) technologies and interoperability issues in order to
refine ODP version 1 and produce plans for ODP version 2.
The workshop reviewed the progress of the ODP version 1 development, discussed ODP and WIS
interoperability issues to support the WIGOS Pilot Project fro JCOMM, and considered the
reference model and development plan for ODP version 2.